Sunday, January 1, 2012

Mission Statement & Response to Comment

I finally received my first comment on my blog.  First, thank you for reading and commenting.  You have no idea how much that means to me.  I would like to respond to the comment and extend on what I want to do with the blog.

First, I will be the first to say my writing style is rather bland.  I was never the greatest English student and I certainly didn't study it in college.  During or after the movies I watch, I think up great lines but they only end up just like your average political talking points with terrible supporting documentation. With this blog, I hope to change that.

Now for the criticizing of people's movie tastes.  I do understand the idea of the guilty pleasure.  That is why I have a defense of Moulin Rouge on this blog.  But there is a HUGE difference between my enjoyment of Moulin Rouge and America's fascination with Adam Sandler.  I honestly don't get it.  I have watched probably 80-90% of what he has been in.  I enjoy The Wedding Singer, Punch Drunk Love and the first two-thirds of Funny People.  Everything else ranges from the harmlessly dumb (The Waterboy) to the cheap & offensive (...Chuck & Larry).  I have tried to get an explanation from numerous people about the appeal of Adam Sandler and all I have gotten are variations of "He's hilarious."  If anyone reading this can give me a reason why Adam Sandler continues to deserve the moviegoers time, attention and money, feel free to comment below or e-mail me (almostfilmcritic@gmail.com)

Which leads me to what I want to do with the blog.  In addition to your everyday reviews on new theatrical & DVD releases, I want to do some theme writing that most professional critics write.  What I mean by that, for example, is to go and watch every Adam Sandler movie in order in which they were released and describe why I feel he is not very funny to me.  For more information on what I want to write here, see my second post (My Future Writings).

In the end, I love the constructive criticism and love that I may have started a real discussion about movies, which is something that I love.  If I have offended anyone's intelligence by my criticism of Sandler, I am truly sorry.  As for future comments, please don't hide.  I think I have an idea about who wrote the first comment, but please identify yourself next time.  I promise I won't openly release your address & phone number to have readers send nasty messages to you at 3:15 in the morning.  Pinky swear.

EDIT: I also want to add that I am an accountant at a CPA firm.  Therefore, my time at work and away from the blog, movies and, most importantly, my wife, will steadily increase until April 16th.  I hope to post twice a week at least but I make no promises.  I thank you in advance for reading and for your patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment